This 6 week Nordic walking course will begin with a session on the benefits of physical activity on your mental health. The following 4 weeks will then consist of an hours instruction in Nordic walking, followed by a facilitated peer support group. The final week will provide participants with the opportunity to reflect back on their progress and look at next steps and what support people might need to achieve them.
Attending this group is a good way to learn a new activity, share experiences, build social networks and meet people in a non-judgemental setting.
Please note these sessions are for Hertfordshire residents. The group is provided in partnership with Nordic Walking Watford.
These groups run for 6 weeks on the following dates:
- Session 1: Wednesday 7th September, 1:30pm – 3:30pm
- Session 2: Wednesday 14th September, 1:30pm – 3:30pm
- Session 3: Wednesday 21st September, 1:30pm – 3:30pm
- Session 4: Wednesday 28th September, 1:30pm – 3:30pm
- Session 5: Wednesday 5th October, 1:30pm – 3:30pm
- Session 6: Wednesday 12th October, 1:30pm – 3:30pm
All of these sessions will start and finish at our Borehamwood Wellbeing Centre (10 Leeming Road, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, WD6 4DU)
- Session 1: Thursday 27th October 1:30pm – 3:30pm
- Session 2: Thursday 3rd November 1:30pm – 3:30pm
- Session 3: Thursday 10th November 1:30pm – 3:30pm
- Session 4: Thursday 17th November 1:30pm – 3:30pm
- Session 5: Thursday 24th November 1:30pm – 3:30pm
- Session 6: Thursday 1st December 1:30pm – 3:30pm
All of these sessions will start and finish at our Letchworth Wellbeing Centre (28 Broadway, Letchworth, Hertfordshire, SG6 3AA)
- Session 1: Tuesday 21st February 2023 1:30pm – 3:30pm
- Session 2: Tuesday 28th February 2023 1:30pm – 3:30pm
- Session 3: Tuesday 7th March 1:30pm – 3:30pm
- Session 4: Tuesday 14th March 1:30pm – 3:30pm
- Session 5: Tuesday 21st March 1:30pm – 3:30pm
- Session 6: Tuesday 28th March 1:30pm – 3:30pm
Sessions 1 and 6 will take place at our Dacorum Wellbeing Centre (139 Leighton Buzzard Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP1 1HN).
Sessions 2, 3, 4 and 5 will take place Gadebridge Park, Leighton Buzzard Rd, Hemel Hempstead, HP1 1DN.
Learn to Nordic Walk Course
Attending this group will help you to learn the full Nordic Walking technique over 4 consecutive weeks and gain your FREEDOM PASSPORT.
This will enable you to join Watford Nordic Walking regular group walks, but also those of any other NWUK instructor in the country. Your Passport also entitles you to FREE membership with Nordic Walking UK for the first year.
This award winning course will ensure you master the technique and become a Nordic walker for life – it covers the following in 4 x 1-hour sessions, in a relaxed group suitable for all levels:
Session 1: The fundamentals of Nordic Walking technique. Gaining forward propulsion from the poles by engaging the correct upper body muscles, understanding correct gait and co-ordination.
Session 2: Mastering handgrip and use of the pole straps in order to develop technique. Adapting the body position and pole angles for walking up and down hills.
Session 3: Adding more speed through improved technique, understanding how your body reacts to exercise and learning how to stay within your comfort zone.
Session 4: Improving posture and understanding of how to use technique, distance, speed and terrain to constantly ensure you get the most out of your Nordic Walking!