About our counselling placements
Applications for January are now closed. The next review will be in June 2023.
Our countywide affordable counselling service offers face to face sessions within each of our 7 wellbeing centres, as well as remote online and telephone counselling. Clients are initially offered up to 10 sessions, however there is some potential for longer term work. All of our clients have a counselling assessment before commencing sessions.
Placements within our counselling service are highly sought after and we have a limited amount of positions available. Applications are reviewed twice a year – around January and June.
In order to apply for a placement, trainees need to be in their final year of a Level 4 Diploma (or equivalent). Some client hours in a previous placement are recommended, due to the complexity of our client base.
Qualified counsellors are also welcome to apply for a volunteer position.
If you do not meet the criteria we recommend looking at the other voluntary positions within Herts Mind Network, in order to gain invaluable experience of working with mental health and our organisation https://www.hertsmindnetwork.org/join-us/volunteering-opportunities/
- Be available to see 3-6 clients per week
- To work face to face and remotely
- Able to lone work (if evenings, or weekend)
- Arrange own external supervision and attend in accordance with BACP guidelines
- Report any Safeguarding concerns immediately and follow procedures
- Update client records on HMN’s database, Charity Log, promptly and accurately
- Communicate with Team regarding clients, sickness or holidays
- Complete Weekly Attendance Logs
- Commit to volunteering for 1 year
- Working for a well-respected charity
- Robust Induction Training
- Ongoing support
- Safe working practices
- Excellent experience of working with a diverse range of clients
- A chance to increase your knowledge and understanding of mental health issues
- Access to training opportunities/CPD within Herts Mind
- Contribution towards supervision when seeing a minimum of 3 clients
- Possibility of progress onto our IAPT pathway once qualified
The application process
- Complete the application form and equal opportunities monitoring form
- E-mail the completed forms along with details of your availability (center/s, remote, days, times, evenings, weekends and if you are able to lone work) to [email protected]
- You will be contacted to let you know if you will be shortlisted for an interview
- Hertfordshire Mind Network aims to inform candidates within a week if they have been successful, are being called back for a second interview/role play
- If successful you will need to complete an application for an Enhanced DBS for Adult & Child Workforce and provide two references
- You will also be invited to attend the Volunteer Counsellor Induction Training. This will cover working at Hertfordshire Mind Network and the policies and procedures you will need to be familiar with and adhere to, including safeguarding and confidentiality.
- Further on-line mandatory training modules will also need to be completed
If you have any questions please e-mail Dawn Stenning at [email protected]