About our counselling placements
Applications for January are now closed. The next review will be in June 2023.
Our countywide affordable counselling service offers face to face sessions within each of our 7 wellbeing centres, as well as remote online and telephone counselling. Clients are initially offered up to 10 sessions, however there is some potential for longer term work. All of our clients have a counselling assessment before commencing sessions.
Placements within our counselling service are highly sought after and we have a limited amount of positions available. Applications are reviewed twice a year – around January and June.
In order to apply for a placement, trainees need to be in their final year of a Level 4 Diploma (or equivalent). Some client hours in a previous placement are recommended, due to the complexity of our client base.
Qualified counsellors are also welcome to apply for a volunteer position.
If you do not meet the criteria we recommend looking at the other voluntary positions within Herts Mind Network, in order to gain invaluable experience of working with mental health and our organisation https://www.hertsmindnetwork.org/join-us/volunteering-opportunities/
- Be available to see 3-6 clients per week
- To work face to face and remotely
- Able to lone work (if evenings, or weekend)
- Arrange own external supervision and attend in accordance with BACP guidelines
- Report any Safeguarding concerns immediately and follow procedures
- Update client records on HMN’s database, Charity Log, promptly and accurately
- Communicate with Team regarding clients, sickness or holidays
- Complete Weekly Attendance Logs
- Commit to volunteering for 1 year
- Working for a well-respected charity
- Robust Induction Training
- Ongoing support
- Safe working practices
- Excellent experience of working with a diverse range of clients
- A chance to increase your knowledge and understanding of mental health issues
- Access to training opportunities/CPD within Herts Mind
- Contribution towards supervision when seeing a minimum of 3 clients
- Possibility of progress onto our IAPT pathway once qualified